Skip to main content

Leaving family violence and need financial help?

By January 14, 2020February 23rd, 2024No Comments

For anyone who has experienced domestic or family violence and has left their abuser, starting out with a new life can be practically very difficult. Apart from coming up with all the costs of moving, there may be very little—or nothing—in terms of household items to take. There may be huge concerns over upcoming bills and how to create a new normal for the children.

To help people who have been through domestic and family violence, a new interest-free loan scheme has been established by Care, Inc. These loans can provide immediate financial assistance when people have no other means of getting help.

Care, Inc. is a community organisation which helps ensure low income consumers are treated fairly and can be supported to overcome debt.

If you are located in Canberra, and have been through a family violence crisis that has led to you having to move, you can now apply for interest-free loans through the Assistance Beyond Crisis (ABC) loan program.

Loans from the microfinance scheme can be applied towards things like:

  • Household goods/whitegoods
  • Vehicle-related costs
  • Childcare/education costs
  • Housing costs
  • Medical/dental expenses
  • Electrical/electronic items.

However, the loans can’t be used to put towards loan or credit card repayments or to pay some bills, such as utilities. For help with these kinds of financial hardships, please contact a free financial counsellor at the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 or visit National Debt Helpline’s website.

To be eligible for the ABC loans, you have to have experienced and left a family violence situation, live or work in the ACT or surrounding NSW region, and have a moderate income (around $50 to $100k per annum).

What you can borrow

You can borrow up to a maximum of $5,000 with a maximum loan term of three years.

What you are able to borrow will depend on your income and repayment capacity.

How to apply

A referral is needed and must be completed and submitted before making an appointment. You can get a referral from a community service organisation working with domestic and family violence clients. For example, DVCS, EAP providers, allied health services or medical professionals.

Find more information and download a referral form on the website.

Or you can call to speak to a worker on (02) 6257 1788.

Want to help?

The lending capital to support the ABC loan program is provided by a range of local businesses and individuals. To join them in donating, click here.

Alliance Legal Services is happy to support clients who can receive this interest-free loan, by offering certain fixed price services (conditions apply). Give us a call for all details.

Do you need any help with a family law matter, perhaps involving family violence? Alliance Family Law can assist you once you have chosen to take a legal course of action, whether this involves separation, divorce, custody arrangements for your children, or property settlements; as well as supporting you with any related criminal law or other legal matters through our network of referral companies. Whilst we are a Canberra based firm we operate in all east coast States and the ACT.

Please contact Canberra family lawyer Cristina Huesch or one of our other experienced solicitors here at Alliance Legal Services on (02) 6223 2400.

Please note our blogs are not legal advice. For information on how to obtain the correct legal advice, please contact Alliance Legal Services.


Call Now Button